Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Leading change for the better....


Just recently I read a really good article in the Globe and Mail and I want to share with you some of the insights on how human nature gets in the way of your change effort:


We all know that you can't manufacture passion or "motivate" people to feel passionate. You can only discover what ignites your passion and the passions of those around you. You can't say to your employees, "Okay, folks, let's get passionate about what we do." It doesn't work that way. You need to lead by example. Let your employees see your passion and your desire to be the best you can be. Encourage them to be part of a winning team. Acknowledge and reward them for their creativity and innovation.

Ask yourself:

  • What can I do to obliterate complacency and foster an environment of creative and innovative thinking?
  • Do I really appreciate my employees and regularly thank them for their great work?
  • What's my attitude? Is it worth catching?
  • How does my company respond to downturns?
  • Do we continue to build for the long-term even during difficult times by tapping into the creative solutions that employees have to offer?
  • Does my company strive for excellence? Is our goal to do better tomorrow than we did today?
  • Do my employees enjoy coming to work? Do they feel that they are part of the "big picture"?

No comments:

Post a Comment